The CCEB is pleased to sponsor the annual Paul D. Stolley Travel Award, named for the founding director of the Clinical Epidemiology Unit, which preceded the CCEB. The award provides an opportunity for medical students to study clinical epidemiology in an international setting for one month.
Arrangements are made for the Stolley Travel Award recipient to work at one of the developing-nation Clinical Epidemiology Units in the International Clinical Epidemiology network (INCLEN) or at another site that offers an appropriate experience. Working with faculty members at Penn and an onsite joint preceptor, the student will join the host university's epidemiology-unit seminars and conferences, work through guided readings, and attend selected meetings with his/her host-university faculty preceptor. The student also may work for a limited time on one of the research projects underway in the host epidemiology unit.
The application is announced/advertised annually in November. To apply, the student must:
- Identify a Penn faculty preceptor who is a member of the CCEB.
- More than one preceptor can be involved in a particular project, but at least one has to be affiliated with the CCEB. We recommend that interested students explore the faculty biographies and contact directly those faculty members whose research interests match theirs.
- Identify a site of potential interest (either INCLEN or other site)
- Students can start by searching INCLEN for countries or projects of potential interest. Students are encouraged to contact the sites of interest and to enquire about the possibility of a summer experience.
- Complete an application Interested students should contact Program Coordinator Michelle McCarthy, firstname.lastname@example.org, to obtain an application.
Please note that applicants must have successfully completed Module I, Introduction to Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, in order to be considered for the travel award.
The next official deadline for applications will be Monday, February 14, 2022, at 5 p.m.
Complete applications should be submitted to:
Joshua F. Baker, MD, MSCE
Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
c/o Michelle McCarthy
Room 808 Blockley Hall
423 Guardian Drive
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6021
The recipient is selected by a committee of CCEB faculty, based on his/her application. One Penn medical student will receive the award, which consists of paid round trip airfare plus $1,000 for living expenses. The elective may be arranged for any time in the summer between the first and second year of medical school. The award recipient may be eligible to receive academic credit, if desired.